Who You Are:
• Do you like to work a standard 40-hour week with little to no overtime?
• Do you enjoy work-life balance including the ability to leave work behind when you go home?
• Do you want to earn 12 hours of paid time off per month, in addition to 8 paid holidays?
• Do you have a passion for working with nonprofits?
• Are you interested in using your accounting knowledge to help over 100 nonprofits achieve their goals by focusing on the big picture and day to day financial details?
• Are you detail-oriented and able to maintain a high level of accuracy while meeting deadlines?
• Do you work well independently and with a small team ?
• Are eager to be a part of a supportive and cooperative environment?
What You’ll Do:
• Manage the accounting cycle and perform full charge bookkeeping functions to ensure payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable, reconciliations, and financial statements are completed within the specified time-frame.
• Develop and maintain financial processes and documentation that aid nonprofit leaders in sound decision making.
• Consult and advise organizations on financial operations best practices.
• Share knowledge and provide support to both clients and peers.
Skills You Need:
• Analytical problem solving
• Takes initiative
• Customer service oriented
Your Experience and Education:
• You have a minimum of 3 years of bookkeeping experience, preferably within a nonprofit environment, including general ledger experience.
• You have a working knowledge of accounting principles, including fund accounting, GAAP, debits and credits, compliance requirements, and best practices.
• You have time management skills and are self-directed in managing priorities and meeting deadlines
• You are able to effectively communicate accounting concepts to a variety of audiences, including to those with no accounting background or experience.
• You are adaptable, willing to flex to meet the needs of a diverse base of organizations.
• You are proficient at ten key and keyboard skills and have solid expertise in various accounting software and Microsoft Office Suite.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $40,000-50,000/year (non-exempt), depending on experience. SMJ offers a flexible schedule and an excellent benefits package with generous paid time off, holiday pay, 100% employer-paid medical and dental plans (with buy-up option), vision, 401k retirement plan with employer match (after 1-year of employment), flexible spending account, and employer-paid disability and life insurance. Our employees have access to professional development opportunities and an education benefit. We are located just south of downtown Portland, a couple blocks from mass transit. Our building has a beautiful courtyard, locker rooms, and a bike locker.
E-mail your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know why you think you would be the perfect fit for this position in your cover letter.
SMJ is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other classifications applicable by law.
2525 SW 1st Ave., Ste 201, Portland, OR 97201