Job Title: Associate Conductor for the Portland Gay Men’s Chorus
Location: Portland, Oregon
The Portland Gay Men’s Chorus (PGMC) is seeking a highly skilled and passionate Associate
Conductor to join our artistic team. The successful candidate will have experience conducting
choral ensembles of various skill levels, a deep knowledge of choral repertoire and vocal
pedagogy, superior rehearsal skills, appreciation for the lived experiences of all community
members, and a commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
● Assist the Artistic Director and Conductor (ADC) in all aspects of planning and
● Serve as conductor for PGMC’s small ensemble, Cascade
● Conduct sectional and full rehearsals as assigned
● Attend all rehearsals and performances
● Attend weekly meetings with PGMC’s Artistic/Production teams
● Serve as an ambassador and liaison between the chorus, the LGBTQ+ community,
and local arts organizations
● Assist with recruiting and auditioning new singers
● Help develop and maintain positive relationships with donors and supporters
● Bachelor’s degree in music education OR comparable experience/degrees
● Demonstrated experience conducting or working with a community-based chorus and
with singers of various musical skills and experience
● Knowledge of vocal technique and pedagogy
● Familiarity with diverse choral repertoire, including classical, pop, musical theater, folk
music, and vocal music of non-Western traditions
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills
● Strong administrative and organizational skills
● Passion for the mission and values of the Portland Gay Men’s Chorus
This is a part-time position, with rehearsals taking place on Sunday evenings (Cascade
rehearsal) and Monday evenings (PGMC chorus rehearsal), as well as occasional weeknights
and weekends throughout the year as dictated by PGMC’s performance schedule.
Estimated compensation for qualified candidates is $12,000-15,000 annually.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 2, 2023.
● Cover Letter
● Resume/CV, including contact information for three professional references
● OPTIONAL: Candidates may additionally submit a video recording (no longer than 15
minutes) of a recent rehearsal demonstrating your conducting technique and style.
The Portland Gay Men’s Chorus is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications
from all qualified candidates.