SUMMARY The Audience Development Manager oversees subscription campaigns as well as the solicitation and analysis of patron data and develops and executes strategies, programs and events designed to deepen relationships with ticket buyers for longer-lasting engagement marked by additional ticket purchases and philanthropic contributions by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. Identifies and defines existing patron segments in database based on type of purchases, frequency of purchases, event attendance and overall contributions to the organization.
2. In conjunction with the VP of Marketing and Strategic Engagement, design, and digital teams, develops creative concept and copy, executes, and monitors campaigns for all season packages and subscription efforts, and oversees the coordination of target lists for acquisition campaigns with the Teleservices Manager.
3. Increases earned revenue by developing and executing programs for target database segments. These plans would include, but are not be limited to, patron loyalty programs to increase subscriber retention; upgrade programs through which patron purchasing commitment would become larger; step-up programs to move single ticket buyers into larger package purchases; and stewardship programs to continually move patrons along the continuum from first-time buyer to brand ambassador.
4. In conjunction with VP of Marketing and Strategic Engagement, develops and tests strategies to connect with emerging audiences – students, new movers, young professionals, etc.
5. Enhances the bond between patrons and the organization by developing behind-the-scenes experiences as well as subscriber events and special giveaways. Works with support of Patron Communications Manager to execute these strategies.
6. Leads market research to help the organization meet its strategic goals through increased ticket and contributed revenue.
7. Establishes research methods, such as survey, opinion poll, or questionnaire, and designs means for collecting data for projects. Develops and assists in conducting surveys and focus groups to analyze customer purchasing patterns, preferences, and the organization’s image and marketing effectiveness.
8. Researches market conditions and conducts feasibility studies to determine market demand for existing and new products or services. Analyzes new and current data to develop new product offerings and research methods.
9. Maintains market intelligence in order to examine, analyze, and compile statistical data.
Gathers, analyzes, and compares competitor single ticket, subscription package pricing, and benefits structure to that of organization.
10. Prepares ongoing patron migration reports as well as weekly subscription sales reports. Monitors subscription activity daily during renewal promotion season. Summarizes findings and makes recommendations for action plans as needed.
11. Manages expenses, and provides invoice reconciliation: codes and manages marketing invoices, and reconciles with accounting department.
12. Attends Symphony concerts and events.
13. Other duties may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Database skills: Experience with ticketing databases; Tessitura strongly preferred. Ability to work with database administrator to find programming solutions to test new subscription packages as well as streamline/troubleshoot existing subscription transactions.
• Copywriting: Ability to communicate subscription offers and benefits in a clear, concise, and appealing manner, as well as communicate research findings and make recommendations to management summaries.
• Mathematical Skills: Ability to budget and forecast with accuracy and to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, percentages, etc.
• Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree or higher from four-year college or university and a minimum of four years marketing or development experience, preferably in the performing arts sector. Audience development experience preferred.
• Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
• Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
• Other Computer Skills: Extensive Excel spreadsheet experience including ability to use graphs and charts effectively; working knowledge of Microsoft Office software; ability to quickly learn and use new software; Tessitura database software experience a big plus.
• Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: None required
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a blend of analytic and intuitive thinking, combined with the ability to view the world from patrons’ point of view. Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively in a variety of media.
Team player. Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
• Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
• Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
• Interpersonal Skills – Maintains confidentiality; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
• Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and informatively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
• Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
• Business Acumen – Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Works within approved budget; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
• Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly
• Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
• Judgment – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
• Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
• Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
• Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Quality and Quantity – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality; Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner.
• Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Dependability – Is consistently at work and on time; Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
• Initiative – Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
• Innovation – Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable