The Metropolitan Youth Symphony (MYS), a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization located in Portland, Oregon, seeks a Communications and Community Engagement Manager. We are looking for a dynamic communications professional whose marketing and communications experience and vision for community engagement will help propel MYS to the next stage of organizational growth. The Communications and Community Engagement Manager is vital to our mission to educate, develop, and promote young musicians. This role works closely with the Executive Director and Music Director.
• Develop annual marketing and communications plan in alignment with the MYS strategic plan.
• Initiate and manage all marketing and communications to promote MYS narrative and brand, including for concerts, student recruitment, community communications and special events.
• Produce all social media communications content and graphics for MYS’ social media accounts including but not limited to: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. Coordinate messaging with MYS executive and music directors.
• Write and circulate press releases, newsletters, event collateral, ads, etc. Perform graphic design work as needed.
• Initiate, establish, and manage relationships with press and media.
• Utilize local advertising opportunities and community bulletin boards to promote events, programs and concerts.
• Oversee website content and graphics and coordinate with MYS staff to strengthen the MYS brand and narrative.
• Manage MYS collateral including logo updates, brochures, flyers, letterhead and newsletter. Manage photo and video libraries.
• Manage the printer relationship for all marketing and communications deliverables.
• Assist with development communications and fundraising campaigns to reach budgeted revenue goals.
• Support MYS’ commitment to make music education accessible to all communities; make MYS communications relevant and available.
• Analyze MYS communications channels and strategies on a regular basis
• Work with MYS staff to identify and implement opportunities for collaboration between MYS and its various communities and constituencies. This includes overseeing community engagement activities associated with recruitment, concerts, music access programming and alumni.
The candidate will be a creative self-starter with excellent writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
3+ years’ experience in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations or related field. Musical background is helpful.
Demonstrated interpersonal skills: communicate effectively and build understanding with people from diverse backgrounds and ages. Spanish/second language a plus.
Demonstrated writing/editing skills: includes strong storytelling abilities.
Demonstrated graphic design skills: develop layout and production design for ads, brochures, appeals, and flyers.
Demonstrated computer/AV skills: effective use of Microsoft office suite products and Adobe Creative Suite. Experience with WordPress a plus. Proficiency with email marketing tools such as Emma required.
MYS is committed to a diverse workplace environment and advances the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion across the organization and in our programming. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Position starts at $60,000 per year. Health plan or monthly health stipend and 401k plan provided in addition to vacation, paid holidays, and sick time.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and two graphic design samples to email@example.com Position open until filled.
About MYS: MYS is in an exciting growth phase with a forward-thinking music director, a strong artistic team of 13 conductors, a respected community presence, and meaningful artistic partnerships. We have worked with BodyVox’s Junior Artist Generator, members of Grammy nominated chamber orchestra A Far Cry, Fear No Music’s Young Composers Project, Pacific Youth Choir, PHAME, jazz violinist Regina Carter, I Am M.O.R.E. and Oregon Symphony Composer in Residence, Gabriel Kahane.
Access is foundational to everything we do. MYS musicians perform at 15 concerts at underserved schools each year and offer free beginning strings classes to low-income students at Multnomah County’s Bienestar de la Familia, Faubion School and Hillsboro’s Lincoln Street Elementary School. We also manage a robust financial aid program, a coaching program, and an instrument lending library.
In our 48th season, the Metropolitan Youth Symphony typically serves 500 young musicians in the Portland metropolitan area and southwest Washington. We believe that instrumental music promotes life lessons such as discipline, commitment, and teamwork. As a weekend-based program, we provide students with excellent music education while encouraging involvement in activities outside of MYS. We make music education and performance opportunities available to musicians at all levels of experience and ability, offering 14 ensembles that include orchestra, strings, band, Jazz, and percussion in Portland and a growing strings program in Hillsboro. This coming season MYS will present five concerts in Portland’5 venues and four community concerts throughout the Portland/Vancouver area. For more information, please visit the MYS website at www.playmys.org.