The Office of Commissioner Chloe Eudaly is seeking a Communications Staff Representative.
This position is exempt from Civil Service and is an “At Will” position. It serves at the discretion of the hiring authority, subject to City of Portland Human Resources Administrative Rules and Portland City Charter and Code.
Communications Staff Representative
Salary: $4,354.13 – $6,087.47 Monthly
Location: 1221 SW 4th Ave, OR
Job Type: At Will
Bureau: Office of Commissioner Chloe Eudaly
Job Number: 2018-00042
Closing: 1/29/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
The primary function of this specialized role is connecting the public with the work of Commissioner Eudaly, her staff and the City of Portland. An important sector to cover for this position is focused on the arts and culture community.
Using creative communication strategies and technical expertise, the successful applicant will work closely with the Commissioner and collaborate with other team members to provide information to the public consistently in a manner that is accessible and compelling.
An ideal candidate will have experience developing effective strategies to deliver meaningful communications. Candidates must demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills as well as the ability to gracefully manage stressful, demanding and fast-paced work.
• Develop and execute creative communication strategies that reflect the work, values and character of Commissioner’s office and the bureaus assigned to her.
• Serve as primary backup to the Constituent Relations Specialist answering general phone and email inquiries and staffing the office’s front desk.
• Employ exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
• Collect relevant information and prepare remarks, speeches and talking points for Commissioner Eudaly.
• Contribute to community dialogue through engagement in multiple forms of communications media.
• Coordinate with team members, bureau communications teams and other city offices to convey accurate, useful information to the public.
• Manage and update all communications platforms.
• Analyze efficacy of communications methods.
• Provide timely fulfillment of public records requests.
• Learn new communications methodologies and techniques.
• Accompany the Commissioner at events and meetings.
Winning Behaviors, Competencies, and Skills
• Write creatively, quickly and collaboratively
• Actively listen with compassion and empathy.
• Establish and maintain relationships inside and outside of City Hall.
• Act with tact, discretion, diplomacy and a high-degree of confidentiality.
• Use sound, independent judgment.
• Comfortable being flexible and assisting in all levels of administrative support as needed.
Skills, Training and Experience
This position requires advanced communications skills. The attribute that is most important to this position is the ability to synthesize complex ideas into understandable language. Other desired, but not required skills include:
• Digital asset management
• Project management
• Web design
• Photography, video, and graphic design
• Public records management
• Policy research and development
• Valid driver’s license
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant’s training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, and writing sample should demonstrate the candidate’s ability to meet the minimum qualifications and expectations outlined above in the “To Qualify” and “Position” sections of this announcement. The most qualified candidates, as determined by evaluation of the applications, will be invited to interview.
This position is exempt from Civil Service and is an “At Will” position. It serves at the discretion of the hiring authority, subject to City of Portland Human Resources Administrative rules and Portland City Charter and Code.
To apply applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and a 1-2 page writing sample to Chloe@portlandoregon.gov with the title “Communications” in the subject line, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the “To Qualify” section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
• Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the items in the “To Qualify” section of this announcement.
• Your resume should support the details described in the cover letter.
• If you are requesting Veteran’s Preference, indicate this in your cover letter, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the “To Qualify” section above.
Applications must be submitted electronically, as either Word or PDF documents, to Chloe@portlandoregon.gov with the title “Communications” in the subject line.
If you are requesting Veteran’s Preference, please make it clear on your cover letter and resume. DO NOT attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran’s Administration Letter stating your disability to your email with your applications materials. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will need to provide a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veteran’s Administration Letter Stating your disability to the initial interview. If you do not bring your documents to the interview your preference will not be considered moving forward in the selection process.
Veteran’s Preference documentation must be submitted at the initial interview if successfully passing the minimum qualification evaluation.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below no later than the closing date of this announcement.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
A Career with the City of Portland offers many Employee Benefits
This summary outlines the benefit programs, actual benefts may vary depending on bargaining unit and employment status.
The City of Portland offers a comprehensive benefit package that is competitive with other private and public sector employers.
More detailed information can be obtained by calling the Benefits & Wellness Office at 503-823-6031.
Health Care (Medical, Vision and Dental)
• A choice of two medical/vision plans and two dental plans.
• Coverage is available to benefits-eligible employees, their spouse/domestic partner and eligible dependent children up to age 26.
• For full time employees, the City pays 95% of the cost of coverage, you pay 5%.
• The part-time employees’ cost is pro-rated based on the number of hours in the employee’s regular work schedule.
• We offer many on-site fitness center locations and classes, stretching,
• discounts to local fitness clubs,
• smoking cessation benefits,
• chronic care coaching programs,
• worksite wellness screenings and flu shots.
• Basic life insurance at no cost to full time employees.
• Levels of coverage are based on bargaining units, employment status and/or annual salaries.
o Supplemental life insurance – employees may purchase up to $500,000 for themselves
o up to $300,000 for their spouse or domestic partner.
o up to $25,000 for dependent children.
o This coverage is portable upon retirement or separation. There are some limitations on coverage level.
Long Term Disability
• Depending on your bargaining unit, you may be eligible for Basic Long Term disability coverage which will pay up to 40% of your basic monthly earnings up to $3,333 per month.
• The benefit is available 60 days from the onset of the approved disability, or exhaustion of sick leave, whichever is later.
• Preexisting condition limitations do apply.
• Employees may also purchase an additional 20% (of your basic monthly earnings up to $1,667 per month) coverage.
Employee Assistance Plan
• Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) provides confidential counseling services for employees and eligible dependents.
• Effective July 1, 2013, the plan provides up to five free visits per year.
Flexible Spending Accounts
• Medical Expense Reimbursement Plan (MERP) allows you to make pre-tax contributions to your account to pay for eligible medical/dental/vision expenses which are not paid by your health insurance (deductibles, co-pays, etc.)
• Dependent Care Account Program (DCAP) allows you to pay for your eligible dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. The maximum allowable you may contribute to this plan is $5,000.
• Membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)/Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan (OPSRP)
o The City currently pays the employee’s share of the retirement contribution.
o Employees who are OPSRP members are vested after five years of contributions or when they reach age 65 (age 60 for police and fire.)
• Option to contribute a portion of your earnings on a pre-tax basis to the City’s Deferred Compensation Program.
• 80 hours of vacation each year initially. This accrual will increase over time.
• Sick leave typically accrues at the rate of 104 hours each year
• 10 paid holidays each year
• three personal days accrue each year
Family Medical Leave
In accordance with federal and state law, and the City policy for family medical leave, the City grants family and medical leave to eligible employees for certain family and medical related reasons.
• City’s TRIP Reduction Incentive Program (for transportation options)
Agency: City of Portland
Address: 1120 SW 5th Ave, 404, Portland, Oregon, 97204.