Position Title: Education Assistant
Department: Instructional Support Staff
Reports To: Head of Middle School
FTE: .50 – 1.0 Non-Exempt
The Education Assistant is a member of the school’s instructional support staff and is responsible for the supervision and support of students and for maintaining a safe and healthy environment and school experience. Education Assistants ensure that the culture and activities of the school support the Mission and Core Values of Northwest Academy and its respective divisions. Education Assistants lead middle school programming and activities as assigned.
● Supervise and direct middle school students during drop-off and lunch periods, including extended Flex, lunch, and activities periods on Fridays;
● Supervise and direct middle school students on special activity days and programs throughout the year, including Arts Week;
● Supervise study hall;
● Monitor and respond to the health and welfare of students, including the dispensing of medication and first aid;
● Support the operational needs of school personnel in the performance of their responsibilities;
● Ensure that the campus facilities presents a professional, welcoming appearance;
● Provide tutoring and organizational support to students in small group settings;
● Substitute for middle and high school classes as needed;
● Provide classroom support and teaching assistance as needed;
● Organize lunchtime activities for Middle School Students; and
● Staff the Main Building or Plaza Building front desk, ensuring the safety and security of each facility, surrounding environment, and students/staff; provide phone answering and receptionist services for the school.
● Support the work of the Head of School and administrative/leadership team;
● Support the mission, values, program, and goals of Northwest Academy and its respective divisions and programs;
● Help to maintain school policies, regulations, and expectations;
● Maintain professional, collaborative, and collegial relationships;
● Exhibit a growth mindset about best practices and work toward professional goals and development;
● Actively participate in the school culture and community; and
● Provide effective supervision of students to promote a safe and healthy environment and school experience.
There may be commitments outside of regular school hours, including evening, weekend, and overnight commitments. Overtime in excess of a forty-hour week may be requested. Northwest Academy staff recognize that participating in a professional community and contributing to the school’s wellbeing is an important element of their relationship to our school. As a result, staff members are expected to take active roles in the school’s professional and student culture in a variety of ways in addition to their essential responsibilities.
Interested candidates can find instructions for applying for this position on the Careers at Northwest Academy and reply to Careers@nwacademy.org.
Physical requirements are consistent with light physical duties required of administrative office and supervisory staff generally, including the lifting and transport of materials weighing up to 30 pounds. The school is spread out across five buildings covering multiple blocks in downtown Portland, so staff may have to move between buildings during five-minute passing periods or to attend meetings around campus. The school does not provide parking for all staff members, so metered street or lot parking might be required.
Northwest Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to welcoming and celebrating a diverse student and faculty population. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of the school that employment decisions for all applicants and employees will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability or other characteristics protected under local, state or federal law. No employee will be retaliated against for raising concerns under this policy. We seek each employee’s contribution and assistance in helping us maintain equal employment opportunity.
Northwest Academy, Portland, Oregon 97205