The Newport Symphony Orchestra is the only full season professional orchestra on the Oregon Coast. The NSO primarily performs at the Newport Performing Arts Center but additionally is building its chamber music experience around the state. The NSO conducts a five concert season and a summer season, including a free Fourth of July concert. The group performs classic works, new commissions, and occasional collaborations with high level artists from around the country and world.
The NSO seeks an Executive Assistant and Bookkeeper for the orchestra’s concerts and events. The person must be self motivated, meticulous, communicative, charming, dependable, and professional.
Responsible for managing all arrangements in conjunction with the executive director for NSO concerts and performances, including concert planning, promotion, issuing contracts, and production.
Reports to: Executive Director
Employee, working at hourly rate at an average of 20 hours per week, although the hours will fluctuate being greater prior to a concert and less after a concert. Work hours are assigned by management, not to exceed 30 hours per week in a surge period. Work periods will include weekends, evenings, and Independence Day.
The duties are as follows:
● Represent the NSO with qualities of problem solving in the moment, professionalism, attention to detail, and courtesy.
● Become thoroughly familiar with NSO concert and event operations, including timelines, personnel and points of contact.
● Be thoroughly familiar with the responsibilities, guidelines, and personnel for the Newport Performing Arts Center (PAC).
● Working in tandem with the Executive Director to make sure and arrange for performance venues, including advance scheduling with the PAC and schools; ensure rehearsal, performance, and audition spaces are scheduled and ready for use.
● Arrange for stage manager, stage technician, lighting, sound, house manager, box office, piano tuner, sound recording, and security services, as needed with the executive director.
● Work with volunteers to ensure the changing rooms are prepared for the conductor, musicians, and guest artists.
● Arrange for concert program insert preparation (includes production and putting into the programs). Utilizing volunteers when necessary.
● Assist in the formulation of contract riders with guest artists.
● Handle logistics for guest artists in cooperation with the Executive Director and PAC.
● Be present at concert and event performances to ensure that they proceed smoothly, efficiently, and as planned.
● Perform all assignments in a timely manner and in accordance with established timelines.
● Coordinate the planning of each season’s printed publications, in accordance with established timeline.
● Prepare updates to the NSO website on a regular basis.
● If using the NSO office desk, handle calls and visits from the public.
● Prepare and issue all contracts, payments, and payroll to be approved by the Executive Director. Other duties relating to concert operations, as may be requested.
● Act as a single point of contact for the planning and operations for each concert. Fulfill the position’s assigned duties in cooperation with other NSO personnel as follows:
● Coordinates lodging for guest artists and designated musicians.
● Works in tandem with the Librarian – orders music, and distributes to musicians.
● Communicates directly with HomeStay Coordinator – coordinates homestays for NSO regular musicians not otherwise designated to the Executive Assistant/Bookkeeper.
● Works with the Executive Director as the final authority on all executive decisions (contracts, agreements). This duty can also be assigned as needed to other officers of the NSO, such as President, Vice President, or Treasurer.
Required qualities and skills:
● Ability to work with a wide variety of personnel involved in the production of concerts and events.
● Professionalism is key. Maintain cordial relationships with the PAC, NSO staff, and NSO Board.
● Quickbooks knowledge, skills, ability to problem solve issues within Quickbooks
● Knowledge on issuing and preparing payments, checks, and payroll
● Check the mail at the P.O. Box and Office Mailbox
● Display equanimity and graciousness when events are not going as expected.
● Knowledge and experience with the office productivity tools including Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and DropBox.
Other desired skills:
● Experience with SalesForce or other donor management software.
● Experience with social media platforms, like Facebook, Instagram, and MailChimp.
● Natural inclination for continuing education, including online investigations and webinars.
● Editing and writing skills.
● Hourly position with limited benefits. Time cards are to be submitted bi-weekly in accordance with the schedule set by the NSO, to be approved in writing by the Executive Director.
● Hourly wage: $20 to $24/hour
● Hours: 20 hours per week on average, although due to the nature of work, the number of hours per week will depend on the workload, and will increase at the time of performances. Any time worked greater than 20 hours in a week must be approved by the Supervisor in writing in advance. At no time is more than 30 hours per week authorized.
● There will be a 90-day probationary period.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a one year assignment.
● Employer will pay the employer’s portion of Social Security (FICA)
● Employee will accrue paid leave (vacation) of one week per year (pro-rated) allocated on a monthly basis (one week for 25 hour per week). Unused vacation will accrue beyond a single year, but for no more than three years.
● Employee will earn up to 25 hours of unpaid protected sick time per year
● Employee will be paid a prorated equivalent wage for each of the following holidays:
o New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, plus one additional day off unassigned in place of Independence Day.
o 4 paid hours per holiday
● Free access to each concert in the overflow section in the rear of the auditorium.
Process for Application:
Applications and queries must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be submitted by July 22, 2022 to be considered.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with at least three recent references.
No phone calls please.