The Facilities Technicians are responsible for providing proactive hands-on maintenance and responsive service for repairs and projects for all facilities campus wide. This position is great for someone who enjoys problem solving and hands-on work. The Facilities Technicians report to the Director of Facilities.
• Become familiar with all building systems within the Garden campus to develop and execute regular maintenance plans for all physical structures, equipment, and systems. These range from historic home construction to highly sophisticated mechanical systems.
• Track all repairs and maintenance to ensure work is fully completed and done well.
• Record and maintain all expenditure records. Assist in preparing yearly budgets.
• Monitor fulfillment of service contracts for building equipment, pest control, etc.
• Maintain a well-organized inventory of maintenance supplies and tools.
• Help execute regular floor care, roof cleaning and repair, and gutter cleaning campus-wide.
• Participate in periodic deep cleaning projects at each physical structure, including interior and exterior areas.
• As assigned, help repair and maintain Garden vehicles.
• Proactively communicate with staff when facilities work will impact their work environment.
• Support the Director of Facilities in providing 24 hour on-call support for troubleshooting facility emergencies.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
• Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
• Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
• Adhere to safe working practices, including wearing appropriate attire for assigned tasks
• Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform
• Minimum three years of facility maintenance experience, including mechanical, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and paint
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Experience with design software preferred
• High School diploma and a college degree preferred
• Current driver’s license and safe driving record
• Ability to work independently and exhibit initiative to solve problems
• Ability to handle multiple demands and shifting task priorities while maintaining a positive attitude
• Ability to recognize when a task requires additional help and ask for it
• Ability to repeatedly lift up to 75 pounds and maneuver heavy items
• Ability to work on tall ladders
• Manual dexterity with hazardous tools and equipment
• Ability to work weekends, garden events, and special hours when needed
• Clear communication skills, both verbal and written
• Attention to detail and willingness to take the extra step to do it well
• Wage: $19.00 per hour
• This is a full-time, hourly position with 40 hours per week. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, with every other weekend on-call.
• Benefits: health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees); 401k plan (after 1 year of service, with 4% employer match); paid vacation, sick, and holiday time.
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Facilities Technician” in the subject line. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Submit application materials by Friday, January 25th, 2019.
All submitted applications will be held in confidence.
Portland Japanese Garden - 611 SW Kingston Ave