Gallery and Display Specialist (Rec. Aide – Instructor II)
Multnomah Arts Center
SW Portland Submission Deadline: Midnight, Wednesday, January 1st, 2020
Portland Parks & Recreation values a diverse workforce and seeks ways to promote equity and inclusion within the organization. PP&R encourages candidates with knowledge, ability and experience working with a broad
range of individuals and diverse communities to apply. PP&R encourages candidates that can fluently speak more than one language.
Multnomah Arts Center, a program of Portland Parks & Recreation, is currently looking for a Gallery Exhibition Specialist. For over 45 years, MAC has been providing high-quality arts instruction and participation in the performing and visual arts, providing opportunities to connect with communities and cultures. MAC’s gallery exhibits works from the community with a focus on high-quality and diverse work from artists of all backgrounds. The Gallery Specialist is responsible for communication with exhibiting artists, setting exhibition schedules, press releases and publicity, assisting artists with hanging monthly shows (11 shows a year – plus three craft sales and a lobby display case), setting lighting in the gallery, help with inventory and artist payments, and maintaining the gallery space. The Gallery Specialist will also be at times coordinating volunteers.
• The initial schedule is for 40 – 60 hrs per month, depending on exhibition schedule.
• Starting pay rate is $15.45-17.70 per hour, depending on experience.
• Maximum pay is currently $20.45 per hour after 5 years.
• This position is part-time (maximum 1600 hours per year).
• This position does not include benefits.
Potential Work Schedule
• Monthly show install is on the first Wednesday thru Friday (openings are on Friday evening.)
• Monthly show take down is on Tuesdays after 5pm.
• MAC art sales are 1 – 3 days, 3 times per year (spring, summer, winter).
• Additional work hours will be determined by mutual agreement.
Minimum Qualifications Required
• Has significant experience in Gallery and/or Exhibition work or equivalent professional experience.
• Can foster a positive, supportive environment for a diverse exhibiting artist community.
• Has excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Can maintain all appropriate documentation such as records, emails, publicity materials, etc.
• Experienced with Microsoft Office Suite (Excell, Access, Word)
• Is comfortable using a 15 foot ladder for hanging work and adjusting lighting.
• Can lift up to 50lbs.
The Ideal Candidate
• Can work with the changing demands of our community and contribute with enthusiasm.
• Works well with others and is comfortable sharing a space with others.
• Is familiar with the Multnomah Arts Center and its programs.
• Is familiar with and dedicated to the citywide Racial Equity Goals & Strategies.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement. The City is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are requesting Veteran’s Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veteran’s Administration letter stating your disability to your profile. You must request Veteran’s Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for Veteran’s Preference documentation must be submitted with your application.
To apply for this position: Submit a cover letter, résumé, examples or links to pages that demonstrate your experience (if applicable), and at least three references to: Nicole Rawlins email: Nicole.Rawlins@portlandoregon.gov or submit the information to Multnomah Arts Center, Attention: Nicole Rawlins 7688 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland, OR 97219.
To apply for this position:
1. Complete the application form (Available at this url: https://www.multnomahartscenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Call-for-Gallery-and-Display-Specialist-at-MAC.pdf )
2. Submit the application with a cover letter, résumé, and examples or links to your artistic work (if applicable) by email: Nicole.Rawlins@portlandoregon.gov or by mail: Multnomah Arts Center, Attention: Nicole Rawlins, 7688 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland, OR 97219
Multnomah Arts Center - 7688 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland, OR 97219