Beaverton Arts Foundation – Patricia Reser Center for the Arts
Position Posting: Marketing & Communications Design Specialist
FSLA Status: Exempt, Full-time with benefits; occasional nights and weekends required.
Date of Posting: September 24, 2021
Please note: Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a prerequisite for employment. The Reser will consider exemptions for medical or religious reasons.
The Patricia Reser Center for the Arts (“The Reser”) is a nonprofit professional arts center currently under construction in downtown Beaverton, Oregon. Construction began in November 2019, and the Center is scheduled to open to the public in early 2022. Immediately adjacent to City Hall, the facility will comprise a 550-seat Mainstage Theater, an art gallery, and meeting and rehearsal spaces. The Reser will present national touring artists, local and regional performing arts organizations, visual arts exhibitions, arts education programs, and will serve as a social and cultural hub for Beaverton and its surrounding communities. For more information about the campaign to build the Patricia Reser Center for the Arts, please visit www.centerfortheartscampaign.org
The Reser is governed by the Board of Trustees of Beaverton Arts Foundation (doing business as Patricia Reser Center for the Arts), consisting of accomplished, respected, and dedicated community volunteers. In a successful public/private partnership with the City of Beaverton, they have brought The Reser to life.
Although Beaverton Arts Foundation dates from 1999, The Reser itself is a relatively new organization and, by its nature, will pass though several distinct phases before it achieves a mature operating state. Its current developmental phase is focused on near-term projects: completing construction, installing theatrical systems, staff development and training, inaugural planning and programming, and creating the policies and practices that will guide The Reser’s future. This pre-opening phase will be accompanied by changes in the size and structure of the staff, the focus of job responsibilities, and the skills required for success. Adaptability and a personal commitment to the The Reser’s mission are vital qualities for any employee in this environment. The scope of responsibilities of the Marketing & Communications Design Specialist will evolve to meet the needs of The Reser as it progresses through various phases toward opening and taking its place as an active arts center and a vital community resource.
It should also be noted that this position is being filled at an extraordinary moment, in which it may be necessary to work remotely for some indefinite period of time. Candidates should evaluate their personal capacity for being responsive and productive while working independently. The successful candidate will be confident in their ability to fulfill the job responsibilities remotely for as long as necessary, and will transition to working in a new building with a fast-paced, start-up environment.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Reser is seeking an energetic, skilled, and experienced marketing professional to join our growing team prior to opening. This position offers the right person a rare opportunity to play a key role in the launch of a new arts organization, help shape The Reser’s professional environment for years to come, and ensure seamless integration of digital marketing and communications across all platforms. The Marketing & Communications Design Specialist will play a central role in marketing the organization’s programs and services, and helping to establish its brand. Of paramount importance, the right person will also play a critical role in actualizing The Reser’s commitment to the principles of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
The Marketing & Communications Design Specialist reports directly to the Director of Marketing and Patron Services. In addition, the Marketing & Communications Design Specialist will work closely with other departments, including Programming, Development, and Operations, as well as members of the Patron Services staff.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Marketing & Communications Design Specialist will create, design, and develop The Reser’s identity across all of its communications platforms, under the guidance of the Director of Marketing & Patron Services. They will create, update, and refine messaging to ensure its effectiveness, currency, and reach. The role of Marketing isn’t only to sell tickets, but also to be the voice of The Reser’s mission as a prominent regional arts organization and community resource. Our Marketing & Communications Design Specialist will play a critical part in building support for our mission by crafting a compelling narrative that is fresh, informative, and genuine.
Responsibilities will begin with a pre-opening phase focused largely on implementing new digital communications platforms and systems, developing standard operating procedures, and establishing the flow of information to other departments—all in advance of the Spring 2022 Grand Opening and inaugural season. This phase will also focus on building relationships with colleagues and vendors.
Commensurate with the public opening of the facility and the achievement of the objectives listed above, the ongoing responsibilities of the Marketing & Communications Design Specialist will include the following:
• Develop the visual identity and voice of The Reser across all digital platforms and systems
• Support marketing efforts by developing content for social media, as needed
• Prepare content for public-facing website, blog, and email marketing
• Perform regular content updates on all public-facing platforms
• Create templates for e-newsletters, invitations, email blasts, etc.
• Write and edit content (including photo editing and video links) for newsletters, invitations, and announcements
• Ensure that all logos, identity marks, presentations, templates, and other images meet established brand guidelines
• Manage the distribution of video messaging across the various screens in the facility for maximum impact
• Partner, collaborate with, and take direction and feedback from key stakeholders and leadership
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED
• Degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Communication Design, Graphic Design, or at least five years of comparable professional experience
• At least three years of professional experience in a similar role, preferably in the arts
• Working knowledge of email marketing concepts and metrics pertaining to customer segments and engagement
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign; practical skills with other computer programs, such as Word and Excel
• Demonstrable skill in social media management; experience with some or all of the following: Mailchimp, Constant Contact, Wordfly, Buffer, Sprout Social, Hoot Suite
• Proficiency with basic HTML
• The ability to work on multiple high-caliber projects and keep timelines on track
• Evidence of a strong and contemporary design sensibility
• Excellent communication skills and a proven capability to work effectively with internal and external partners and customers
• The ability to write clear, concise, compelling—and grammatically correct—copy
• People skills; a talent for diplomacy; a collaborative approach to problem solving
• Must be highly organized and detail oriented; able to work both independently and as an unselfish team player dedicated to the empowerment and success of colleagues. A builder of strong relationships.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
• Enthusiasm for the performing arts and artists, and the ability to communicate that effectively
• Photography and video production experience is a bonus
• Experience with a start-up; the skill to set up digital communications systems “from scratch”
• Experience in a performing arts center or theater, and an understanding of how all of its elements work together
• Demonstrable experience communicating with a diverse audience base; cultural competency; the ability to communicate effectively in more than one language is a big plus
WORKING ENVIRONMENT – ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL ABILITIES
Most of the responsibilities of this position are performed in a traditional office setting and do not typically involve equipment that poses a threat of injury. The successful completion of duties relies on the following physical abilities: sufficient (corrected or uncorrected) vision to read text of various sizes, and to perceive colors and shapes accurately. Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to communicate effectively in person and on a telephone, to hear sounds within the normal range of conversation and in the context of crowd noise. Sufficient manual dexterity to operate office equipment. Sufficient personal mobility, strength, and reflexes to perform light work and to reach, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and lift as much as 20 pounds. The physical abilities required for this position may be flexible and we encourage those who may require accommodation to apply.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
An annual salary of $55,000 commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical insurance, Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, and matching 403(b) retirement plan contributions.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a resume, accompanied by a cover letter describing why this position is of interest and the personal and professional experience that has prepared them to be successful. All applications will be held in confidence. Initial review of applications will begin on or about October 8, 2021 and will continue until a pool of highly-qualified finalists has been identified. Interested applicants should submit materials as soon as possible. Applications received after October 22, 2021 may not be eligible for consideration.
All applications and/or inquiries should be sent via email only to:
December Carson, Director of Marketing and Patron Services
MS Word or PDF attachments only, please
Subject Line: Marketing & Communications Design Specialist application
No phone calls
File names of all resumes and attachments should include applicant’s last name
The Patricia Reser Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity, at-will employer, dedicated to the goal of creating a diverse and inclusive working environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, persons of color, and LGBTQ individuals. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.