The Marketing Manager at the Portland Japanese Garden is responsible for digital strategy, media planning, and content strategy & production. The Marketing Manager is a member of the Marketing and Communications Department, collaborating closely with the Membership and Development Departments, as well as in support of all other departments of Portland Japanese Garden. A rough division of responsibilities can be described as 40% promotion of visitor experience, 30% support in membership and donor communication, and 30% support of other organizational programming. This role must understand the larger digital footprint for Portland Japanese Garden in order to help guide an omnichannel marketing strategy. The Marketing Manager is a key player in planning, implementing, and measuring the overarching marketing strategy with oversight from the Marketing Director.
This position reports directly to the Director of Marketing.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden is requiring all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by their hire date. ‘Fully vaccinated’ means 2 shots of either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or 1 shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine – plus 2 weeks after the final shot.
• Work with the Marketing Director to develop Portland Japanese Garden digital marketing plan, campaigns, positioning, and strategy
• Analyze research, data, and trends to develop quarterly reporting to help inform decisions and strategy
• Act as point-person for all interdepartmental email marketing needs; support execution of interdepartmental email marketing campaigns
• Oversee data and list health of all Garden contacts and audience extractions
• Establish audience segmentation and distribution for email/SMS programs
Website Management, SEO, SEM
• Management of japanesegarden.org including content creation, design, and SEO efforts
• Management of POS integration (Tessitura) to track and optimize on user journey and experience
• Manage POS/CRM integration with WordPress to ensure consistency
• Implement cross-domain tracking to create sophisticated measurement and tracking
• Oversee SEM campaign strategy and develop ads to drive website traffic
• Manage Google Ad Grants (Google Adwords program for nonprofits) account
Social Media Strategy
• Manage content calendar, steward implementation across four platforms, oversee consistent brand voice, and monitor high-level trends to ensure we follow best practices.
• Plan and develop social media advertising strategies (Facebook, Instagram and YouTube), including targeting parameters, budget management, copywriting and creative asset management, and reporting.
• Test and learn new social media tools to connect with audiences and publish new content types (i.e. TikTok, Instagram Reels)
Quarterly Media Planning (Advertising)
• Develop quarterly advertising plan for the Garden based on existing audience segmentation info and overarching annual marketing and communications plan
• Correspondence with vendors and partners from start to finish, including planning, negotiating, booking placements, collecting specs, and delivering completed materials
• Analyze and report to the team on campaign performance
• Manage graphic designer for creative development of advertising deliverables, visual content for owned digital platforms, promotional materials
• Oversee and work with concierge department on social media community management, review site responses, website content updates
• Garden tours for press or influencers
• Administrative tasks to support the department
• Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
• Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
• Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
• Adhere to Garden dress code (business casual)
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the position, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for this role.
• Bachelor’s degree required, Communications or Marketing-related degree preferred
• 4-5 years of experience in advertising or marketing-related roles (agency experience is a plus)
• Some experience with WordPress or other CMS
• Demonstrated proficiency in social media, and general online savviness
• A proven track record of working well with others, adapting to others’ work styles, and professional interactions with co-workers and/or vendors
• Strong listening skills, giving full attention to what other people are saying or asking, taking time to understand the points being made, and asking questions when appropriate
• Strong project management skills, having the ability to oversee and execute on a variety of workstreams
• Experience managing a direct report or specialty position/vendor (e.g. designer, developer, etc.)
• Service orientation, actively looking for ways to help others
• Excellent communication skills
• A positive and outgoing attitude
• Comfortable working in an open-office environment
• Experience with Prospect2, MailChimp, or other email marketing platform
• Experience with SEO and/or Google Adwords.
• Familiarity with a CRM database (e.g., Tessitura) and/or Point of Sale system
• Personal passion for Japanese culture and history, art and design, travel, and/or landscape design and horticulture are a plus
• Being bilingual in any language is a plus; in Japanese, it’s an A+
COMPENSATION & SCHEDULE
• Salary: $48,000-$50,000/year
• This is a full-time, salaried position with 40-45 hours per week. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), 8:30am to 5:00pm, with some flexibility. Occasional evening and/or weekend work is required.
— health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees)
— 401k plan (after 90 days, with 4% employer match after 1 year)
— flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
— paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references via our online Career Center (https://japanesegarden.org/careers). Please also provide a short description (200-300 words) – separate from your cover letter – of a recent project or problem that you made better, faster, smarter, more efficient, or less expensive. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Portland Japanese Garden - 611 SW Kingston Ave