The Youth Mariachi Program, an outreach partnership between the Chehalem Cultural Center and Yamhill Enrichment Society, is hiring three music educators with a passion or interest in Mariachi to work with students in the McMinnville School District 2-4 days a week.
The three positions are:
Currently, two small groups of middle school students (grades 6-8) come together to learn the traditional instruments of mariachi music, including guitarrone, vihuela, trumpet, violin, guitar, and voice. There is potential to bring the program into McMinnville high schools in the coming months.
The McMinnville portion of the CCC’s Youth Mariachi Program adheres to the academic calendar of McMinnville School District and aligns all holidays, school breaks and snow days with that of the MSD.
This is a perfect opportunity for students or young professionals working on building their music education career. Ideal candidates can work both set days, interest in growing with the program, and have availability through July 2020. The Chehalem Cultural Center is an equal-opportunity employer: bilingual candidates and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Lead group rehearsals and sectionals
• Provide professional support during performance events.
• Direct and teach a mariachi style ensemble band.
• Specialist may be required to accompany occasional workshops and performances that occur outside of the scheduled rehearsals.
• Work directly with students for approximately 4 hrs/week plus paid time for prep, training, and meetings.
• Arrive with enough time to prepare for the day’s session and stay long enough to clean up the space.
• Follow all space use guidelines and communicate these expectations to students.
• Tuesdays 3-4pm (2:30-4:30pm including prep, cleanup) at Patton Middle School
• Wednesdays 3-4pm (2:30-4:30pm including prep, cleanup) at Dunaway Middle School
• Potential to grow into the local high schools, adding 1-2 additional afterschool sessions
• Occasional workshops, field trips, and performances arranged in advance with notice
• Youth Mariachi Coordinator, Seth Wollam
• CCC Education Coordinator, Cressa Burris
• Must have a passion for arts, culture and community
• Background in guitar, trumpet, or violin, music theory and proficiency in sight-reading
• Experience teaching in a classroom setting and/or private lessons
• Knowledge and understanding of traditional mariachi music preferred
• Experience in instructing elementary and middle school youth preferred
• Ability to lift 50 lbs, for transporting instruments and equipment
• Bilingual in English and Spanish would be excellent
Start Date: ASAP
Pay: Starting at $12/hr based on experience. Contractor 1099 agreement, paid monthly via invoice.
To apply: email a cover letter, resume, and video/audio of their playing respective instrument to Seth Wollam, Youth Mariachi Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org