Job no: 531279
Work type: Officer of Administration
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Accounting/Finance, Administrative/Professional, Administrative/Office Support, Research/Scientific/Grants, Planning/Project Management
Department: Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $50,000 – $60,000 per year; Commensurate with experience
Compensation Band: OS-OA06-Fiscal Year 2022-2023
Application Review Begins
March 6, 2023; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
With your online application, please provide a resume and a cover letter describing how you meet the minimum requirements, professional competencies, and any preferred qualifications.
Please submit the names and contact information of three professional references. Candidates will be notified prior to contacting references.
This position is located in Eugene with a requirement to be on campus but may be eligible for some hybrid work on certain days.
The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI) advances world-class research, scholarship, and innovation at the University of Oregon, a top-tier public research institution. The OVPRI oversees sponsored research, research compliance, technology transfer, research communications, and research development at the University of Oregon (UO), as well as numerous high-profile research centers and institutes and core research facilities. OVPRI provides opportunities for faculty across the university to collaborate on research efforts that are inherently interdisciplinary and of significant societal importance. As a university that holds the distinction of a “very high research activity” ranking in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, the UO is also one of only two Pacific Northwest members of the Association of American Universities (AAU). Visit research.uoregon.edu to learn more.
The OVPRI is committed to a respectful work environment. We value the cultural, educational, and life experiences of each employee. We believe that a diverse workforce enables us to deliver culturally responsive services to all members of our community. As part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we welcome, respect, and foster a sense of belonging for a wide range of identities and experiences in our workforce. OVPRI proactively supports the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive research community, and is necessary to accelerate discovery and innovation. In partnership with UO’s Division of Equity and Inclusion, we utilize the IDEAL Framework to guide our practices.
The Office of the Vice President of Research and Innovation is excited for the opportunity to build our team by welcoming a dynamic individual as the Office Manager. The Office Manager supports the OVPRI administration staff, while overseeing daily operations for various offices and buildings in Eugene. The Office Manager (OM) is a vital member of the Research Finance and Administration team (RFBA) and works closely with leadership, Directors, OVPRI, University HR, and relevant central university offices on strategic planning and operational direction based on OVPRI needs and priorities.
The position is responsible for day-to-day office operations, independent problem-solving, coordinating with central services, and overall smooth functioning of the multiple locations and spaces across the OVPRI. This position is responsible for providing the leadership team with assessments of emerging operational problems or concerns and works closely with all levels of administration and staff to resolve issues.
This position holds accountability for maintaining and improving the operating systems that are key to research operations, and regularly exercises independent judgment and develops units’ policies and procedures surrounding financial and office resources. It further interprets and applies the appropriate policies/procedures and rules/regulations to ensure compliance and to facilitate the efficient functioning of operations at OVPRI in collaboration with RFBA team. It serves as the point-of-contact for providing direction and information to research and university staff, students, and visitors of OVPRI. This position is accountable to accomplish goals and objectives set by Directors and must have high-functioning organizational skills, attention to detail, adherence to confidentiality, and discretion.
The Office Manager acts as the primary travel support coordinator for OVPRI. This position will serve as the research subject matter expert for travel, including coordination with the University travel office, interpreting, and advising travelers on university policies, developing, and refining processes, conducting, and attending trainings, and assisting with the completion of travel expense reports.
The position provides backup to the Divisional Budget Director’s team and reports to the Finance Manager. This position may provide support and supervision to an Office Specialist 2 and up to three student workers and is intended to be on campus a majority of the time.
We strive to be champions for building and supporting a community that reflects a rich variety of racial and ethnic, socioeconomic, gender, sexual orientation, accessibility, cultural, and intersectional identities. Successful candidates will demonstrate a commitment to embed the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion practices throughout their work and engagement in the UO community.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of skills, education, and experience.
• Two (2) years of experience providing office or administrative assistance or working in an office environment.
• Experience with project planning and financial oversight.
• One year of supervision experience.
• Commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
• Exceptional time management skills, with a strong attention to detail.
• Highly motivated to take initiative and perform duties in a way that advances and supports the mission of the department and university.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities with overlapping deadlines and frequent interruptions while maintaining a high level of customer service and professionalism and confidentiality.
• Excellent planning and project prioritization skills.
• Excellent communication skills to obtain, provide, or exchange information with project collaborators and staff, including a capacity for sensitivity, confidentiality, and diligence with regard to human subjects’ information.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds, as well as to develop knowledge and respect for those from a broad array of cultures and backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to learn, understand, explain, and comply with university and government policies, rules, and regulations.
• Ability to represent the UO in a professional manner with diverse set of stakeholders including, investigators, staff, administrators, students, and research participants.
• Ability to manage complex environments in a calm, constructive, and professional manner.
• Experience in a fast-paced higher education or research-intensive environment with responsibility for managing and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects.
• Experience coordinating travel arrangements and reimbursements.
• Experience in HR systems and personnel record keeping.
• Experience with BANNER, Concur and/or similar information system.
• Experience with payroll processes and systems.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://hr.uoregon.edu/uo-covid-19-vaccination-requirement-employee-process.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at mailto:email@example.com or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the http://studentlife.uoregon.edu/nondiscrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://clery.uoregon.edu/annual-campus-security-and-fire-safety-report.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3918679
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
University of Oregon