PHAME is a fine and performing arts academy serving adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Offering three ten-week terms of arts-based classes each year, as well as a rigorous performance program, PHAME empowers students to learn new skills, take artistic risks, and build lasting relationships with people who share their experience of having a disability.
PHAME is built upon the belief that art is for everyone, and that our community is stronger when it champions opportunities for all. With that in mind, PHAME brings passion, joy, and rigor to arts education and performance.
The Outreach and Engagement Manager is responsible for building community relationships to increase student enrollment, build strong and meaningful partnerships, and promote more awareness of disability access and inclusion. The Outreach and Engagement Manager will build relationships with the local disability community, local arts organizations, and other community stakeholders. This position regularly interfaces with current and prospective students, families, and support people, and requires excellent customer service skills. The Outreach and Engagement Manager will show a strong commitment to PHAME’s mission and dedication to learning more about our community.
• Position type: Part-time, 25 hours/week
• Pay rate: Hourly, $22.50-$25.00
• Work schedule: Typical hours are Monday through Thursday, 9:00am to 3:00pm, with occasional evenings and weekends
• Reports to: Executive Director
• Exempt status: Nonexempt
— Paid time off (PTO): This position will accrue PTO at the rate of 6.25 hours per month (10 hours per month adjusted for 0.625 FTE)
— Holiday pay: PHAME observes 10+ annual holidays; employee will be paid for regularly scheduled hours that fall on those holidays
— This position is based in Portland, Oregon, and at least 50% of hours will be worked from PHAME office or program sites. The PHAME office is located near Lloyd Center in NE Portland. There is the possibility of some remote work.
— Between 5% and 10% of hours will involve traveling to meet with arts and community partners throughout the greater Portland area. Having access to a car or other reliable transportation is required. PHAME offers mileage reimbursement for work-related use of personal vehicles.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
STUDENT OUTREACH (50% time)
Execute and maintain a comprehensive community outreach and recruitment strategy to prospective students, including:
• Create, maintain, and expand partnerships with disability-serving organizations
• Update and support the creation of marketing strategies to increase awareness of PHAME’s programming
• Increase and maintain visibility of our program within communities we serve through site visits and presentations at other organizations
• Work closely with PHAME student outreach personnel to create presentations and outreach opportunities
Support potential students through the registration process, including but not limited to:
• Be the first point of contact for prospective students
• Assess prospective students’ eligibility and fit for the program
• Communicate with applicants and their support people regarding registration needs and deadlines, including providing applicants with individualized assistance as needed (including occasional assistance in filling out registration forms)
• Maintain systems for data collection on prospective students, entering data in a timely manner
• Coordinate with Campus and Enrollment Manager on new students
• Support campus staff in creating a welcoming environment when they start at PHAME
ARTS PARTNER AND COMMUNITY OUTREACH (50% time)
In collaboration with the Executive Director, build and maintain relationships with arts organizations around the region to create more meaningful partnerships, including but not limited to:
• Maintain relationships with existing arts partners (e.g., Portland Art Museum, Oregon Ballet Theater) to facilitate further opportunities for cross-collaboration
• Create new relationships with arts organizations with whom we have not yet partnered
Maintain our partnership and outreach calendar, working closely with program management staff to ensure that partnership opportunities are being implemented successfully into the school calendar
Work as coordinator of partnership events (e.g., workshops, field trips), including day of events, to ensure that events run smoothly
Update database with partnership information
Work in collaboration with PHAME student employees who are hired to do outreach work to create presentations and public speaking opportunities
• At least five years of work experience
• Experience working with adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
• Experience in either the local Portland arts community, the local disability community, or the local education community
• Comfort with public speaking, excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
• A commitment to our core values, especially that of self-determination and excellence, and to disability rights
• Good organizational skills
• Moderate to extensive experience with Excel and Microsoft Word
• Basic to moderate experience with databases preferred
PHYSICAL & COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS
• Percentage of time spent sitting, standing, moving: 75% sitting, 25% standing and/or moving
• Weight lifting requirement: 20 lbs
• Bending requirement: moderate
• Screen time: substantial
• Meeting responsibilities: substantial
• Type of decision making/problem solving: moderate
• Percentage of position that can be worked remote: TBD; at least 75% of hours will be worked from PHAME office or program sites. Remote work options to be determined between employee and supervisor.
COVID-19 SAFETY POLICIES
PHAME requires all office staff to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (including booster, if eligible). The office is equipped with virus-level air purifiers. As we enter the endemic phase of this pandemic, safety policies will be modified to align with fluctuating transmission levels and hospitalizations in our area.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your resume and cover letter by Friday, August 19 to Jennifer Thelander at email@example.com. Please put “PHAME Outreach and Engagement Manager” in your email subject line.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Successful applicants will be asked to provide two or more professional references. This position will require a criminal and sex offender background check before hiring.
People with disabilities and candidates of color are especially encouraged to apply.
PHAME Academy is an equal opportunity employer.