Patricia Reser Center for the Arts
Box Office Associate
Reports to: Box Office and Patron Services Manager
FSLA Status: Non-exempt; Part-time; Hourly
Schedule: Nights and weekends required as needed.
Date of Posting: February 5, 2024
The Patricia Reser Center for the Arts (“The Reser”) is a new, nonprofit professional arts center opened to the public in March 2022, in downtown Beaverton, Oregon. Located near City Hall, Beaverton Central Max station, and The Round, the facility comprises a 550-seat Mainstage Theater, an art gallery, and meeting & rehearsal rooms. The Reser will present national touring artists, local and regional performing arts organizations, visual arts exhibitions, arts education programs, and serves as a social and cultural hub for Beaverton and its surrounding communities. For more information about the Patricia Reser Center for the Arts, please visit www.thereser.org
The Reser is governed by the Board of Trustees of Beaverton Arts Foundation (doing business as Patricia Reser Center for the Arts), consisting of accomplished, respected, and dedicated community volunteers. In a successful public/private partnership with the City of Beaverton, they have brought The Reser to life.
The Reser’s first full season in 2022-23 was a successful outcome to the years of planning and preparation that preceded it. The region is taking note of The Reser’s contribution to its cultural life. The Reser’s second full year, the current 2023-24 Season, will continue to require a nimble and creative staff, with the skills and commitment to meet challenges as they arise, and to grow as a team. Adaptability and a personal commitment to the mission of The Reser are vital qualities for every employee in this environment.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Reser is seeking energetic, skilled, Box Office professionals to join our growing team. This position offers the rare opportunity to play a role in the launch of a new arts organization, to help shape The Reser’s patron services environment, and ensure the seamless integration of customer service and ticketing. The Box Office Associates will play an important role in community support of the organization by helping to ensure a superb patron experience. As front-line professionals the Reser’s Box Office Associates will also play an important role in actualizing The Reser’s commitment to the principles of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
Box Office Associates report directly to the Box Office and Patron Services Manager and/or Database and Box Office Administrator and will primarily be engaged in ticket sales and fulfillment, welcoming visitors into the building, interacting with audience members in person, by phone, and online. In addition, Box Office Associates may interact with the Director of Marketing and Patron Services, Front of House Manager, and other departments, including Operations, Administration, Programming, Development, and other members of the Marketing staff, ushers, and volunteers.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Box Office Associates will provide exemplary service to patrons. The ideal candidates will be experienced, problem solving, ticketing professionals, dedicated to peerless customer service and the creation of a welcoming atmosphere for patrons and colleagues alike.
• Develop and maintain skills working with Tessitura, The Reser’s ticketing and CRM software.
• Be the first point of contact for new and returning patrons, whether by telephone or in person, providing services that include ticket sales, resolving ticket issues, selling gift certificates, and memberships.
• Actively promote ticket sales to future performances and events.
• Respond to phone calls, emails, and walk-up requests promptly and accurately; refer issues to managers if needed.
• Answer questions regarding The Reser’s programming, performances, and facilities knowledgeably; respond to questions regarding navigating the website, directions to The Reser, parking questions, accessibility to The Reser, and other inquiries.
• Maintain current and thorough knowledge of The Reser’s performance and event schedule, audience policies, and admission requirements, etc.
• Help create a patron centered environment: Promote customer satisfaction; be a welcoming face of The Reser for its patrons; provide solutions for patron complaints or disputes; coordinate with house staff and managers to resolve event issues; build relationships with regular patrons, members, and donors. Be exceedingly welcoming and helpful to patrons, visiting presenters, and colleagues.
• Available to work evening and weekend shows, as well as daytime fill-in as needed.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED
• Experience working in a Box Office environment and in the use of box office software, preferably Tessitura or a similarly robust system.
• At least two years of customer service experience; the ability to think quickly and solve problems to ensure the comfort and safety of patrons; skill in conflict resolution.
• People skills; a talent for diplomacy; a friendly approach that can be efficient and firm without also being rigid.
• Must be highly organized and detail oriented; accurate, adaptable, and calm under pressure.
• Able to work both independently and as an unselfish team member dedicated to the empowerment and success of colleagues. A builder of strong relationships.
• Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule, including days, nights, weekends, as well as some holidays as required by the event schedule.
• Enthusiasm for the performing arts and artists and the ability to communicate that to patrons.
• Experience in a performing arts center and an understanding of how all the elements of events fit together.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT – ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL ABILITIES
Most of the responsibilities of this position are performed in a traditional office setting and do not typically involve equipment that poses a threat of injury. The successful completion of duties relies on the following physical abilities: Sufficient (corrected or uncorrected) vision to read text of various sizes and perceive colors and shapes accurately. Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to communicate effectively in person and on a telephone, to hear sounds within the normal range of conversation and in the context of crowd noise. Sufficient manual dexterity to operate office equipment. Sufficient personal mobility, strength, and reflexes to perform light work and to reach, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and lift as much as 30 pounds. Must also be able to stand for extended periods of time without assistance. The physical abilities required for this position may be flexible and we encourage those who may require accommodation to apply.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
An hourly wage of $19, commensurate with experience. Benefits that include paid vacation and sick time.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a resume, accompanied by a cover letter describing why this position is of interest and the personal and professional experience that has prepared them to be successful. All applications will be held in confidence. Initial review of applications will continue until available positions have been filled. Interested applicants should submit materials as soon as possible.
All applications and/or inquiries should be sent via email only to: email@example.com
MS Word or PDF attachments only, please.
Subject Line: BOX OFFICE ASSOCIATE application.
No phone calls.
File names of all resumes and attachments should include applicant’s last name.
The Patricia Reser Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity, at-will employer, dedicated to the goal of creating a diverse and inclusive working environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, persons of color, and LGBTQ individuals. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.