Portland Japanese Garden – a 501(c)(3) non-profit in Portland, Oregon – is hiring for a Retail Assistant Manager. The Retail Assistant Manager is responsible for assisting in all aspects of the Retail department, with a focus on customer service, daily employee management, and maintaining the appearance of the Gift Shops. The Retail Assistant Manager reports to the Retail Manager. This position works from the primary Garden campus, located at 611 SW Kingston Ave.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden requires all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, including the booster. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by their hire date and must provide proof of vaccination upon hire.
• Work on the retail floor regularly, assisting with sales, answering customer questions, and providing excellent customer service
• Manage daily employee and volunteer rotations, breaks, and tasks including stocking, stickering, housekeeping, etc.
• Monitor, coach, and encourage team members to meet the Garden’s service standards and facilitate individual growth
• Assist the Retail Manager with training of staff on product, gift wrapping and product presentation, policies, procedures, and POS, including updating policy binders or documents
• Serve as Manager on Duty which includes opening and closing the Gift Shops, troubleshooting POS issues, resolving customer complaints, etc.
• Rectify daily cash deposit, including preparing cashier bags, overseeing counting in/out, and preparing change orders
• Assist with packaging and labeling of outgoing customer shipping orders
• Maintain overall appearance in the Gift Shop and at retail events, including housekeeping tasks, creating and maintaining product signage, and creating training resources/ handouts in conjunction with the Retail Manager
• Responsible for tracking, ordering, and maintaining non-inventory office supplies, bags, boxes, etc.
• Act as a role model for the Garden’s service standards, including excellent work ethic, outstanding customer service and presentation standards
• In conjunction with Retail Manager participate in interviews and address staff performance issues promptly and fairly
• Participate in the operational aspects of Behind the Shoji summer marketplace, “In Garden” Gift Shop, and other retail pop up events including installation and breakdown
• Work special Garden events as required, including necessary setup or take-down tasks
• Attend regular meetings with the Retail leadership to review staff performance, upcoming events, merchandising strategies, reports, revenue goals, etc. and other Garden meetings as required
• Acquire and maintain current knowledge about the Garden and Garden events and responsible for regularly training staff on these details in conjunction with the Retail Manager
• Other duties as assigned
• Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
• Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
• Serve as a role model for Garden volunteers, providing support and encouragement to volunteers in their roles across the Garden
• Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
• Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform (black pants, black t-shirt, black or brown shoes, and Garden-provided Happi coat)
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the position, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for this role.
• Minimum three years retail experience with at least one year in a management, supervisory or leadership role
• Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
• Proven track record of excellent customer service and cash handling with effective team leadership skills
• Possess a current driver’s license and be able to supply satisfactory DMV report
• Proficient on a computer; familiar with Point-of-Sale software and other programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Flexible work schedule and able to accommodate changing Garden needs, including working weekends, evenings, and occasional overtime
• Must successfully complete first aid training, provided by the Garden
• Must be comfortable lifting up to 40lbs
• Must be able to remain in a standing position and/or move about the Gift Shops for several hours
• Knowledge of Japanese culture and/or bilingual in Japanese is a plus
COMPENSATION & SCHEDULE
• Wage: $20.00 – $21.00/hour, DOE
• This is a full-time, hourly position with 40 hours per week. Regular workdays may vary, but generally are Wednesday – Sunday. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch) between 7:30am – 8:00pm but may be needed for occasional Monday/Tuesday shifts and/or evenings
— health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees), with partial deductible reimbursement
— 401k plan (after 6 months, with 4% employer match after 1 year)
— flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
— paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
— free access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The Garden is located at 611 SW Kingston Avenue, in Washington Park. Below are the transportation options for staff commuting to the Garden:
• Parking: Staff may park in the pay-to-park spaces throughout Washington Park. The cost is $8/day, or staff may request parking permits from Washington Park. The Garden subsidizes a portion of the cost for parking permits; the cost for staff is $75/month during the high season (March – September) and $50/month during the low season (October – February).
• Bus Passes: For staff who take public transit as their primary means of commuting to the Garden, we provide paid bus passes. Full-time staff receive a monthly TriMet pass, and part-time staff receive daily passes, based on their work schedule.
• Transportation Stipend: Staff who take any form of alternative transit to get to work qualify for a $5 daily stipend. This includes taking public transit, walking, biking, carpooling, or getting dropped off. The only staff who do not qualify for the stipend are those who are receiving a bus pass through the Garden.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references through our online Career Center (link provided below). Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.