The Retail Associates at Portland Japanese Garden are responsible for assisting with the overall operation of the Retail department, with a focus on customer service and cash handling in the Gift Shops. The Retail Associates report to the Retail Manager.
This seasonal position begins as soon as possible and runs through November. We are looking for someone with open availability.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden requires all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, including the booster. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by their hire date and must provide proof of vaccination upon hire.
• Work on the retail floor regularly, assisting with sales, answering customer questions, and providing excellent customer service
• Follow standard cash handling and credit card transaction procedures and policies
• Pro-actively answer and solve visitor/customer inquiries in person and by phone
• Responsible for maintaining appearance and inventory of the Gift Shop for optimal sales, including regular housekeeping, organizing, and monitoring stock levels of products and supplies
• Participate in maintaining store signage, product handouts, and the product information binder (for Gift Shop and Retail events in conjunction with Retail managers)
• Utilize knowledge about the Garden and Garden events in the selling of products
• Participate in organizing and maintaining stockroom and shipping area in conjunction with Retail managers
• Participate in receiving activity including verifying packing slips, stickering and stocking
• Act as a role model for the Garden’s service standards, including excellent work ethic, outstanding customer service, dress code, and personal appearance
• Other duties as assigned
• Attend regular Retail department meetings and other Garden meetings as required
• Acquire and maintain current knowledge about the Garden and Garden events
• Work special Garden events as required, including necessary setup or take-down tasks
• Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
• Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
• Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the position, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for this role.
• Entry-level position, with 1-2 years of retail experience preferred
• Excellent customer service and cash handling skills
• Attention to detail in a fast-paced retail environment
• Proficient on a computer
• Familiarity with point-of-sale programs and other programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred
• Flexible work schedule and able to accommodate changing Garden needs, including working weekends, evenings, and occasional overtime
• Must be comfortable lifting up to 40lbs
• Must be able to remain in a standing position and/or move about the Gift Shops for several hours
• Knowledge of Japanese culture and/or bilingual in Japanese is a plus
COMPENSATION & SCHEDULE
• Wage: $17.00/hour
• This is a full-time, seasonal, hourly position, with 36-40 hours per week. Regular workdays may vary but will include weekends. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch) between 7:30am and 7:30pm.
— a household membership to the Garden
— reciprocal access to other area attractions, such as Portland Art Museum, OMSI, and Oregon Zoo
— a 30% discount on most items in the gift shop
— incentives for using alternative transportation to commute to work
— free access to the Employee Assistance Program
— paid sick time
— eligible for the company 401k plan upon completion of 500 hours in the first 6 months of employment (4% employer match after 1 year of service)
The Garden is located at 611 SW Kingston Avenue, in Washington Park. Below are the transportation options for staff commuting to the Garden:
• Parking: Staff may park in the numbered spaces throughout Washington Park, which require payment. The cost is $8/day, or staff may request parking permits from Washington Park. The Garden subsidizes a portion of the cost for parking permits; the cost for staff is $75/month during the high season (March – September) and $50/month during the low season (October – February).
• Bus Passes: For staff who take public transit as their primary means of commuting to the Garden, we provide paid bus passes. Full-time staff receive a monthly TriMet pass, and part-time staff receive daily passes, based on their work schedule.
• Transportation Stipend: Staff who take any form of alternative transit to get to work qualify for a $5 daily stipend. This includes taking public transit, walking, biking, carpooling, or getting dropped off. The only staff who do not qualify for the stipend are those who are receiving a bus pass through the Garden.
To apply, please submit a resume and three work-related references through our online Career Center (link provided below). Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.