The Retail Associates at the Portland Japanese Garden are responsible for assisting with the overall operation of the retail department, with a focus on customer service and cash handling in the Gift Shop. The Retail Associates report to the Retail General Manager. This is a seasonal position, starting immediately and running through September 20, 2019.
• Work on the retail floor, assisting with sales, answering customer questions, and providing excellent customer service
• Follow standard cash handling and credit card transaction procedures and policies
• Pro-active in answering and solving visitor/customer inquiries in person and by phone
• Responsible for maintaining appearance and inventory of the gift shop for optimal sales, including regular housekeeping, organizing, and monitoring stock levels of products and supplies
• Participate in maintaining store signage, product handouts, and the product information binder (for gift shop and retail events, in conjunction with the Retail Supervisor)
• Utilize knowledge about the Garden and Garden events in the selling of products, both in the gift shop and online
• Participate in organizing and maintaining stockroom and shipping area in conjunction with Retail Supervisor
• Participate in receiving inventory, including verifying packing slips, stickering, and stocking
• Act as a role model for the Garden’s service standards, including excellent work ethic, outstanding customer service, dress code, and personal appearance
• Other duties as assigned
• Attend regular retail department meetings and other Garden meetings as required
• Acquire and maintain current knowledge about the Garden and Garden events
• Work special Garden events as required, including necessary setup or take-down tasks
• Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
• Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
• Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform
• Entry-level position, with 1-2 years retail experience preferred
• Excellent customer service and cash handling skills
• Attention to detail in a fast-paced retail environment
• Proficient on a computer
• Familiarity with point-of-sale programs and other programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred
• Flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings
• Must be comfortable lifting up to 40lbs
• Knowledge of or interest in Japanese culture and/or bilingual in Japanese is a plus
COMPENSATION & SCHEDULE
• Starting Wage: $13.75 per hour
• This is a full-time, seasonal, hourly position, with 36-40 hours per week. Work shifts will include weekends and may vary from 7:45am-4:30pm, 11:00am-7:30pm, or 10:00am-6:45pm (this includes a 30 minute, unpaid lunch), and as needed for occasional after-hours events.
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references to email@example.com, with “Retail Associate” in the subject line. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Submit application materials by Sunday, March 31st, 2019.
All submitted applications will be held in confidence.
Portland Japanese Garden - 611 SW Kingston Ave