The Retail Associates are responsible for assisting with the overall operation of the retail department, with a focus on customer service and cash handling in the Gift Shop. The Retail Associates report to the Retail Operations Director.
The seasonal position begins May 2, 2021 and runs through September 30, 2021.
• Work on the retail floor regularly, assisting with sales, answering customer questions, and providing excellent customer service
• Follow standard cash handling and credit card transaction procedures and policies
• Pro-actively answer and solve visitor/customer inquiries in person and by phone
• Responsible for maintaining appearance and inventory of the Gift Shop for optimal sales, including regular housekeeping, organizing, and monitoring stock levels of products and supplies
• Participate in maintaining store signage, product handouts, and the product information binder (for Gift Shop and retail events in conjunction with Retail Supervisor)
• Utilize knowledge about the Garden and Garden events in the selling of products, both in the Gift Shop and online
• Participate in organizing and maintaining stockroom and shipping area in conjunction with Retail Supervisor
• Participate in receiving activity including verifying packing slips, stickering and stocking
• Act as a role model for the Garden’s service standards, including excellent work ethic, outstanding customer service, dress code, and personal appearance
• Other duties as assigned
• Attend regular retail department meetings and other Garden meetings as required
• Acquire and maintain current knowledge about the Garden and Garden events
• Work special Garden events as required, including necessary setup or take-down tasks
• Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
• Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
• Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform
• Entry-level position, with 1-2 years of retail experience preferred
• Excellent customer service and cash handling skills
• Attention to detail in a fast-pace retail environment
• Proficient on a computer
• Familiarity with point-of-sale programs and other programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred
• Flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings
• Must be comfortable lifting up to 40lbs
• Knowledge of or interest in Japanese culture and/or bilingual in Japanese is a plus
COMPENSATION & SCHEDULE
• Wage: $14.50/hour to start, with an increase to $15.00/hour after successful completion of the 90-day introductory period
• This is a full-time, seasonal, hourly position, with 32-40 hours per week. Regular workdays may vary but will include weekends. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), and will include up to three closing shifts per week extending to 7:30pm.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references through our online Career Center (japanesegarden.org/careers). Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Submit application materials by Saturday, April 24, 2021.
Portland Japanese Garden - 611 SW Kingston Ave