Visitor Services Representatives at the Portland Japanese Garden work as a team and are responsible for providing exceptional customer service to the Garden’s visitors and assisting with many aspects of operational functions. This position is great for someone who enjoys being outdoors and would enjoy helping and interacting with garden visitors. Visitor Services Representatives report to the Operations Manager for Visitor Services.
This position is a seasonal, full-time position consisting of approximately 32 hours per week. The position is available immediately, and the season runs until the end of October.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden is requiring all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by their hire date. ‘Fully vaccinated’ means 2 shots of either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or 1 shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine – plus 2 weeks after the final shot.
• Patrol the Garden grounds
• Greet visitors and answer garden related questions
• Assist visitors with local area questions – directions, transportation, restaurants
• Enforce garden policies and etiquette
• Assist with opening and closing grounds
• Assist with maintaining overall garden appearance and cleanliness – sweep benches and pathways, empty trash cans, tidy and restock restrooms, maintain staff kitchen areas
• Answer and direct phone calls
• Drive shuttle bus, transporting visitors on garden grounds
• Clean and fuel shuttle bus
• Staff evening events as needed
• Serve as a front-of-house ambassador for the Portland Japanese Garden
• Other duties as assigned
• Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
• Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
• Serve as a role model for Garden volunteers, providing support and encouragement to volunteers in their roles across the Garden
• Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
• Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform
• At least two years of customer service experience
• Current driver’s license: must be able to supply a satisfactory DMV report once hired
• Flexible schedule with the availability of days, evenings, and weekends as required
• Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions
• Must be able to remain in a stationary position and/or move about the Garden for several hours
• Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
• Reliable, positive, cooperative, team-oriented attitude
COMPENSATION & SCHEDULE
• Wage: $14.50/hour to start, with an increase to $15.00/hour after successful completion of the 90- day introductory period
• This is a seasonal, full-time, hourly position with approximately 35-40 hours per week.
• Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), staggered between 7:45am and 8:00pm (or 10:00pm for occasional evening events).
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references via email to email@example.com, with “Seasonal Visitor Services” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Portland Japanese Garden - 611 SW Kingston Ave