Title: Studio Technician & Campus Caretaker
Status: Seasonal, non-exempt position
Wage: $15/hour plus option of on-campus housing including utilities, wi-fi, washer & dryer, access to kayaks and canoe
Hours: 30 – 40 hours/week- varied schedule based on Sitka summer programming needs
Days Off: TBD
Dates: June 2021 – September 2021
Application Deadline: May 17, 2021
Job Objective or Overall Purpose Statement
Support the daily operations of the workshops in the summer. Work closely with the Program Manager to update workshop materials and processes. Maintain a clean, safe and welcoming environment in Sitka’s main office building, two small exterior restrooms and five studio apartments in support of Sitka’s Workshop program and help keep outdoor areas looking well-maintained.
List of Duties or Tasks Performed:
• Work closely with program team to ensure the smooth operation of daily workshops
• Greet arriving instructors, assist with their check-in on campus
• Set up and break down studios for workshops, assist instructors as needed
• Welcome workshop participants on the first day of each workshop, introduce the instructor and provide details about the facility, Covid-19 precautions, and other daily announcements
• Provide audio/visual (AV) support for instructors
• Assist in making sure participants park in designated Sitka parking lots and assist with overflow if needed
• Photograph and video workshops as appropriate and file and organize generated photos and clips
• Input notes regularly into Sitka’s Filemaker database regarding each workshop for set-up ease next year
• Greet drop-in visitors and share current Sitka events and activities, provide facility tours when possible
• Manage work schedule in conjunction with the program team
• Assist with communication of Cascade Head Ranch neighborhood rules to instructors and students
• Perform cleaning duties for Office and Public Restrooms (these are small spaces that tend to stay fairly tidy on their own), including daily Covid-19 high-touch surface sanitation as needed
• Perform caretaking duties following a detailed cleaning checklist for Sitka’s five studio apartments
• Patrol campus nightly to assure each studio is locked with lights and equipment turned off
• Maintain a safety awareness at all times
• Communicate any maintenance issues with the Facilities Manager
• Communicate with Administrative Coordinator on low inventory of workshop and cleaning supplies
Behavioral values relevant to this position:
Based on experience, a person in this position would:
• Enjoy interacting with people daily
• Take pride in cleaning and groundskeeping tasks as a key part of making guests feel welcome
• Have basic computer skills and the ability to quickly learn new photo management and data entry skills
• Enjoy speaking to groups
• Have an artistic sensibility and art making knowledge
• Be able to regularly lift 50 pounds- this is a very physical job!
• Ability to carry materials and supplies up and down outdoor stairs
• Have a sense of intentionality when attending to details
Please submit the following items and return to:
email@example.com or Sitka Center for Art and Ecology, 56605 Sitka Drive, Otis, OR 97368
3 Professional References (list with reference names, emails, phone #s and how you know them)
250 to 750-word essay addressing the 4 questions below
Essay Questions: Please include in your application an essay (a total of 250 to 750 words) answering the following questions.
• Why do you want to work at Sitka and what are you hoping to gain from your time here?
• What strengths will you bring to Sitka’s summer workshops and operations?
• What specific qualities do you bring to a team environment?
Sitka Center for Art & Ecology is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, considers individuals for employment according to their abilities and performance. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other classification protected by law. All employment requirements mandated by local, state and federal regulations will be observed.
Otis, Oregon (on the coast)