UMPQUA VALLEY ARTS ASSOCIATION
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT FOR EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Location: Roseburg, OR
Appointment Type and Duration: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $52,000 annually – $54,600 upon completion of six-month trial-service period
Position closes: When filled
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications must include a current resume, cover letter describing your interest in Umpqua Valley Arts supported with relevant experience, and answers to the following supplemental questions, (please be specific in your answers):
1. Describe your experience in managing a nonprofit organization
2. Describe your experience in fundraising, grant writing and managing donor relations
3. Describe your experience in fiscal administration and budgeting
4. Describe your managerial style and approach to employee supervision
Umpqua Valley Arts
Umpqua Valley Arts (UVA) is a community arts organization located in Roseburg, Oregon. The organization was established nearly 50 years ago to provide arts education and appreciation activities for the community. UVA is currently embarking on its next stage of growth to increase efficiencies, program effectiveness and expand service all people throughout Douglas County.
UVA operates with a staff of five FTE and an annual budget of approximately $400,000. UVA conducts four primary programs: Gallery Exhibitions, Art Education for k-12 age children, Adult Art Programs and the annual Summer Arts Festival. Each program conducts several events and projects annually. The small size of the UVA staff and robust programming means that all employees work closely with one another to manage all aspects of the organization’s programs including program delivery, administrative support and public relations. Additionally, all staff work collaboratively as necessary to prepare for events and exhibitions.
UVA’s Executive Director is the managerial leader of UVA. The Executive Director is responsible for all aspects of managerial oversight and administration of the organization’s programs, staff and volunteers. Other key duties include fundraising, and oversight of the organization’s marketing, member relations, donor relations and community outreach. The position reports to the board of directors.
1) Management and the Board of Directors (BOD):
• Support the BOD at all times.
• Works under the guidance of the BOD to fulfill the mission, vision and program goals of the organization.
• Work closely with the BOD in policy making, fundraising, increasing UVA’s visibility, developing and refining the strategic plan.
• Provide timely advice and recommendations to the BOD.
• Communicate effectively with the BOD and provide all information necessary for the board to make informed decisions.
• Coordinate monthly meetings–secure and set up space, send out meeting reminders, working with board leadership on setting the agenda, tracking meeting outcomes, and archiving meeting materials. Attend all BOD meetings.
• Serve as ex officio member of all committees.
2) Fiscal oversight and organizational sustainability:
• Create the annual fund development plan.
• Develop sufficient resources to ensure financial sustainability and growth of UVA. Responsible for fundraising and developing new revenue sources. Identify potential funding sources, engage in donor development, prepare grant applications, monitor grant expenditures and ensure grant reports are timely filed and accurate.
• Establish and nurture positive relationships with donors and funders.
• Develop a proposed annual budget. Work with the finance committee and BOD through the budget process. Ensure the organization operates within the established annual budget.
• Provide the board with accurate monthly financial statements in a timely manner.
• Provide managerial oversight to ensure that UVA bookkeeping is accurate and efficient. Ensure that program and restricted fund accounting is accurate and timely.
• Ensure that proper safeguards in place to protect the assets of the organization from fraud, theft and waste.
3) Organization mission, vision, goals and strategy:
• Work with the BOD, staff and volunteers to ensure that the mission, vision, goals and strategy is fulfilled through the organization’s programs and strategic plan.
• Work with the BOD and staff to develop and maintain a strategic plan.
• Responsible for implementation of UVA’s strategic plan and programs.
• Lead UVA day-to-day operations effectively to include building management and financial management. Implement, manage and enforce policies & procedures, communications & outreach, staff & board communications, facilities rental, and other activities required.
• Manage program projects and special events. Oversee the annual Summer Arts Festival, Plein Air, Dinner Theater (UACT), Jazz BBQ, Special Workshops, and other special events with UVA Program Managers and staff.
• Create a Facilities Management Plan. In partnership with the City of Roseburg, develop and implement a long-term plan to manage the ongoing facilities improvement of UVA buildings. Priority to the Clay Place in 2019/20.
• Hire, supervise, and mentor staff, contractors and instructors.
• Develop relationships with staff, lead staff meetings, review job descriptions/work plans, conduct performance reviews, provide PD and targeted support.
• Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, contracts and other instruments made on behalf of UVA. Review and approve contracts for services; monitor payments to contractors and instructors.
• Nurture UVA Membership relations. In partnership with UVA Staff, provide transparent and direct connection to UVAA activities, coordinate membership events, develop positive relationships with members, coordinate with Membership Committee efforts.
• Nurture stakeholder relationships. Establish relationships with stakeholders and the media. Nurture and develop key stakeholder relationships locally, statewide, and nationally to share UVA assets, identify future partnerships (programming, funding, etc.), bring existing and emerging trends in community-centered arts to the organization. Utilize relationships to maximize funding and enhance program service accomplishments.
• Oversee UVA Volunteer Program. Work with UVA staff to build systems, communications, and scheduling to maximize assets of current UVA volunteers; develop strategy to recruit new volunteers. Nurture positive relationships with volunteers.
• Act as UVA’s primary spokesperson to stakeholders, members, donors, the media and the general public.
• Responsible for the enhancement of UVA’s public image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with stakeholders.
• Oversee marketing, outreach efforts and external communications. Hone UVA public messaging and develop policies and procedures for updates to public materials, uniform formats for program announcements (posters, website, social media, community calendars, etc.).
• Work collaboratively with staff and volunteers as necessary to support projects, exhibits and special events.
• Other duties as assigned by the BOD.
• Bachelor’s degree; Master’s Degree preferred
• Three years management experience at a program or organizational level in a nonprofit organization
• A general understanding of regulatory requirements applicable to Oregon nonprofit organizations including applicable state and IRS regulations
• Demonstrated financial management skills; an understanding and ability to oversee a multi-fund, accrual-based accounting system for a nonprofit accounting system
• Experience in managing foundation restricted grant funds to include fund expenditure tracking and grant reporting requirements
• High-energy, proactive and collaborative leadership style
• Experience in working with a nonprofit BOD
• High level strategic thinking
• Effective communication style
• Demonstrated experience in personnel management
• A history of successful fundraising
• Excellent donor and stakeholder relations skills
• Demonstrated organizational skills including planning, delegating and program development.
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong public speaking skills
• Strong work ethic and high degree of energy
Special working conditions and physical demands
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds
• Ability to travel as necessary
• Must hold current Oregon Motor Vehicle Operator’s License and have access to an insured and safe vehicle for travel throughout Douglas County and occasionally out of the County, (mileage reimbursed.)
This position works a professional schedule from an office at the UVA Arts Center. The Executive Director is generally expected to work during normal business hours and during special events.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
UVA provides two-weeks of paid time off. UVA does not currently offer a health or retirement benefits package.
UVA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. UVA encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. UVA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UVA prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices.
Submit applications directly to: email@example.com
Advertised: February 18, 2021
Applications close: When filled